Click to ask Senate Ed Committee members Diaz, Stargel, Baxley, Berman, Montford, Cruz, Perry & Simmons to oppose SB 1498 now!
The Senate Ed Committee meets this Monday, February 17th on Presidents Day to discuss and vote on Sen. Dennis Baxley’s delete-all amendment to SB 1498 into alignment with HB 7079.
- Throws a district school into instant turnaround status upon earning its first “D” or “F”
- If a “D” or “F” turnaround school does not earn a “C” or better within a year, the Commissioner of Education may recommend closing the school, re-purpose it as a charter or assign it to and external operation.
- Bypasses school board authority by allowing external operators to be state universities or colleges
- Makes no provision to restore “turnaround” schools to the district
- Shortens the time allowed for school districts to help struggling schools
- Significantly accelerates path to privatize or close low performing schools
- Robs districts of their constitutional authority to oversee their own schools
- Grants Commissioner of Education new powers to deny district requests to close schools
Send your letter now. Ask each member of the Senate Ed Committee to:
- Oppose shortening the turnaround time frame
- Support local control of any necessary school closures
- Oppose SB1498
Tallahassee Folks: Please attend the committee meeting and testify against this bad bill
Monday, February 17, 2020
Pat Thomas Committee Room, 412 Knott Building
After you’ve sent your letters, call the members of the Senate Ed Committee and urge them to vote no on SB 1498.
- Senator Manny Diaz, Jr. (R), Chair (850) 487-5036
- Senator Bill Montford (D), Vice Chair (850) 487-5003
- Senator Dennis Baxley (R) (352) 789-6720
- Senator Lori Berman (D) (850) 487-5031
- Senator Janet Cruz (D) (850) 487-5018
- Senator Keith Perry (R) (850) 487-5008
- Senator David Simmons (R) (850) 487-5009
- Senator Kelli Stargel (R) (850) 487-5022
Are you registered to vote? Do you need to change your party?
Deadline is Feb 18th to vote in the primary.