Two atrocious K-12 education bills SB 1028 Alternate Charter Authorizer and HB 7045 massive voucher expansion are up for their third and final vote on the Senate floor Monday, April 26, 2021.
CS/CS/SB 1028 Creates an Alternate Charter School Authorizer within the Florida University System to pre-empt the legal authority of elected school boards making it unconstitutional as written. This sweeping charter expansion will further destabilize Florida public school funding while fostering unmitigated charter growth.
- Creating an Alternate Charter School Authorizer requires a constitutional amendment and 2/3 of the vote. This bill does not recognize this reality.
- An Alternate Charter Authorizer operated by a state university can open charters all over the state without demonstrating need, threatening deep cuts to the K-12 budget, defunding district schools.
- Charters approved by the Alternate Charter School Authorizer get all funding provided to district schools including state and local funds, discretionary lottery funds, and funds from the school district’s current operating discretionary millage levy.
- Pre-empts the constitutional authority of school boards, robbing voters of their local voice.
- No cap on the number of charters approved by the Alternate Charter School Authorizer
- Lost revenue when district charters transfer to the Alternate Charter School Authorizer, depleting student enrollment, taking with them funds used to develop real estate, buildings, and other taxpayer subsidized assets.
- Corporations, not citizens want an Alternate Charter School Authorizer.
CS/HB 7045 is a massive voucher expansion with devastating consequences to public schools. The bill uses public dollars to fund unaccountable for-profit voucher schools.
- Money for the expanded vouchers comes directly from funds meant for Florida’s grossly underfunded public schools.
- Expands voucher eligibility to a family of 4 earning $100,000 or 375% of the Federal Poverty Rate potentially draining billions of dollars from school districts.
- Private Voucher Schools receive $1 billion in public funds today.
- Rolls MacKay and Gardiner under the “Family Empowerment” voucher, risking changes to services for ESE students going forward.
Your letter will be sent to each member of the Florida Senate:
Sen. Ben Albritton, Sen. Loranne Ausley, Sen. Dennis Baxley, Sen. Aaron Bean, Sen. Lori Berman, Sen. Lauren Book, Sen. Jim Boyd, Sen. Randolph Bracy, Sen. Jennifer Bradley, Sen. Jeff Brandes, Sen. Jason Brodeur, Sen. Doug Broxson, Sen. Danny Burgess, Sen. Janet Cruz, Sen. Manny Diaz, Sen. Gary Farmer, Sen. George Gainer, Sen. Illeana Gainer, Sen. Audrey Gibson, Sen. Joe Gruters, Sen. Gayle Harrell, Sen. Ed Hooper, Sen, Travis Hutson, Sen. Shevrin Jones, Sen. Debbie Mayfield, Sen. Kathleen Passidomo, Sen. Keith Perry, Sen. Jason Pizzo, Sen. Tina Polsky, Sen. Bobby Powell, Sen. Ray Rodrigues, Sen. Anna Maria Rodriguez, Sen. Darryl Rouson, Sen. Wilton Simpson, Sen. Kelli Stargel, Sen. Linda Stewart, Sen. Annette Taddeo, Sen. Perry Thurston, Sen. Victor Torres, Sen. Tom Wright.